Beyond Academics

Frequently Asked Questions – Federal Financial Aid

1. What specific grants or loans may I apply for?

A student enrolling in the ICS program of study can be considered for a Federal Pell Grant if he/she meets the financial needs requirements as determined through the application process. The designation as a Comprehensive Transition Program (CTP) does not include access to Federal Student Loans, such as Stafford, at this time.


2. How do I apply for these grants and will the application for aid be processed, since the tuition deadline has passed?

Yes, you may submit an application for determining eligibility for these grants. You must complete a 2014-2015 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).


3. If I have questions as I complete the application, whom may I call at UNCG?

Please direct your specific questions to the Financial Aid Office of UNCG. You can talk with any counselor at the Financial Aid Office but you may find that Cathryn Garrett has particularly relevant knowledge for students with disabilities who are applying for financial aid. She can be reached at 336-334-5702 or


4. If I have not paid tuition in anticipation of a decision on my request for financial aid, will this affect my enrollment?

Tuition needs to be paid now. Even if the process for eligibility determination for financial aid is underway, any student who has not paid by August 21, 2017 will be dropped from registration, with classes cancelled.


5. What if the financial aid grant comes through subsequent to the final deadline for tuition payment?

You will receive a refund of tuition and fees from the UNCG Cashier’s Office the week after the Pell Grant Award is posted by the Financial Aid Office.